RelatedPosts Chelsea complete signing of German international De Bruyne wins Premier League Player of the Season Manchester City not perfect against Lyon, Guardiola says Eden Hazard was named Red Devil player of the Year 2019, Belgian Football Union (RBFA) announced on Monday. The public in fact elected Hazard by voting via the federation’s website. The Belgian national captain, who moved from Chelsea to Real Madrid in summer, has compiled five goals and seven assists in eight international games in 2019. The title: “Devil of the Year,” has been awarded since 2015. Kevin De Bruyne was the first winner in 2015 and Dries Mertens won the award in 2016. Since then, the 28-year-old popular winger, Eden Hazard, has won the public’s last three votes. Thirteenth in the last Ballon d’Or, Hazard already has 106 matches for the national team and has totaled 32 goals, the second best total in the history of the Belgian selection behind Romelu Lukaku (52). This year, the Belgian Number 10 made the difference in two games against Russia, the toughest opponent of Roberto Martinez’s team in the qualifying group for Euro 2020. With two goals in Brussels in March and a new double, combined with a decisive pass for his brother Thorgan in Saint Petersburg, Hazard once again confirmed his status as technical leader on the pitch. Belgium will be one of the favourite nations for the continental title next summer.Tags: Belgian Football UnionEden Hazardkevin de bruyneRed Devil
RelatedPosts Kobe Bryant honoured in Bosnia with giant mural Kobe Bryant helicopter crash post-mortem released Kobe Bryant’s wife files claim against LA County sheriff over crash photos Basketball legend Kobe Bryant had reportedly agreed with his wife Vanessa that they would not fly together in a helicopter. The former LA Lakers star tragically died in a helicopter crash on Sunday, aged 41, along with eight other people in California while travelling to a practice session at Bryant’s Mamba Academy. His 13-year-old daughter Gianna was also in the aircraft when it crashed into the side of a mountain in Calabasas, around 30 miles from downtown Los Angeles. Bryant is survived by wife Vanessa, 37, as well as daughters Natalia, 17, Bianka, 3, and Capri, who was born as recently as June 2019. The pair married in 2001, before Bryant began to use helicopters for convenience after growing tired of getting stuck in LA traffic. But American publication People report that Vanessa had decided not to join her husband in choosing to ditch the roads in favour of flying. Bryant is thought to have only ever used trusted pilot Ara Zobayan when flying; he was also killed in Sunday’s crash. Bryant said in 2018 that he decided to start using helicopters as it allowed him to fulfil his family and basketball duties. “I was sitting in traffic and I wound up missing like a school play,” he told Alex Rodriguez. “I had to figure out a way where I could still train and focus on the craft but still not compromise family time. “So that’s when I looked into helicopters, to be able to get down and back in 15 minutes and that’s when it started.” The Lakers game against the LA Clippers on Tuesday night has been postponed in light of the news.Tags: GiannaKobe BryantLA LakersVanessa
RelatedPosts Ighalo: My best moment as ‘Red Devil’ EPL: Red Devils attack Palace Breaking: Ighalo blocked Osimhen’s Man U move — Brother Manchester United are reportedly set to sign Odion Ighalo on a permanent deal this summer. The 30-year-old has impressed for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side since his arrival from Shanghai Shenhua, registering four goals in his first eight appearances. Ighalo joined the Red Devils on a six-month loan from the Chinese outfit in January, but United are said to be making plans to bring the former Watford man to Old Trafford on a permanent basis. According to The Daily Mail, Ighalo’s loan deal is set to expire in May, and his parent club Shanghai have set a £15 million (N6.4 billion) price tag on the striker. The report also claimed United may have to negotiate an extension for the Nigeria international’s loan should the Premier League run until June amid the coronavirus pandemic. Ighalo chalked up 39 goals in 99 appearances for Watford between 2014 and 2017.Tags: Odion IghaloOld TraffordOle Gunnar SolskjaerShanghai Shenhua
RelatedPosts Mane double eases Liverpool to win over 10-man Chelsea EPL: Chelsea, Liverpool in cagey duel Chelsea sink Brighton to make winning start Former Chelsea defender, Kenneth Omeruo, is among three CD Leganes players being tipped for the exit door this summer, the others being Jonathan Silva and Siovas, according to reporting by Spanish sports daily AS.Leganes are looking to get Omeruo off the wage bill after losing their top-flight status at the end of the 2019-2020 season. The former Golden Eaglets and Flying Eagles star is aware that sticking with Leganes would diminish his chances of being invited to the senior national team by manager Gernot Rohr, and looks no further than the case involving Simeon Tochukwu Nwankwo who lost his spot to Paul Onuachu after Crotone were demoted to the Serie B.Omeruo joined Leganes permanently last summer for a fee of €5 million, making him the second most expensive signing in Leganes history.Los Pepineros may find it difficult to recoup their investment in the Nigerian considering that he’s now valued at €2.4 million by transfer market experts.Since his La Liga debut, Omeruo has one goal to his name and was in action for 4,312 minutes – across 51 matches, 49 of which he started.— Tags: CD leganesChelseaEropla Kenneth OmeruoJonathan Silva
“In 2003 we did a study at Barcelona and for every player who ended up in the first team from the academy there was an average cost of £2million, which is nothing if you think of the current cost of players. “The principle of bringing players through is fundamental to give a technical identity to a club, because that leads to a style of play. “They have to learn from five years old the style of the team, and then you get the benefits.” City’s rise to Premier League champions was built on a massive spending spree but Soriano insists that will not be the case moving forward. “Our squad is still competitive. Our problem is finding players stronger than those we already have and that’s not easy,” he added. “In the last three years, we have lost £200m, then £100m and now we’re on track to be in the red by £50m, but we have also invested £150m in youth structures. “It is a fantastic project, aimed at financial sustainability.” Press Association The Barclays Premier League champions currently trail neighbours Manchester United by 15 points and retaining their title looks a distant hope. That appeared to put pressure on Mancini’s future but Soriano, who moved to the Etihad Stadium from Barcelona in the summer, has a greater understanding of the situation. “It is not easy to win back any league, especially the Premier League,” he told a press conference in Italy where he was picking up an award for his book, Goal: The Ball Doesn’t Go in By Chance. “One year you can win with luck but in the long term you need planning and investments to reach the final of the Champions League.” Manchester City chief executive Ferran Soriano appears to have offered some support to manager Roberto Mancini by suggesting the club need a long-term plan to sustain success.
Club owner Tony Fernandes, who celebrated his 49th birthday with a big QPR cake, met with manager Harry Redknapp yesterday to formulate a plan to try to get Rangers back in to the Barclays Premier League at the first attempt. Fernandes was happy that Redknapp was willing to continue as manager, but he was in a far less joyous mood when asked about the performances of some of his players this season. The Malaysian businessman will likely try to clear out some of those players in the summer, including Barton, whose loan at Marseille expires in the summer. Midfielder Esteban Granero has hinted that he would be willing to remain at Loftus Road, but Loic Remy, Djibril Cisse, and Julio Cesar appear to be considering their future. Remy, who has scored five goals since joining from Marseille in January, revealed he wants to playing the top flight again next season. When asked whether Premier League football suited him, the French striker told FIFA.com: “I feel like it is, in every way. “You get less time to read the game in this league. There’s more pressure and there’s more contact, though there is more space too. It’s great for a player like me. They play deep here and I like that. It feels like the perfect league for me.” Midfielder Shaun Derry thinks Joey Barton decision to brand QPR’s players as “maggots” was unwise. Barton wasted no time in delivering a damning verdict on QPR’s relegation on Sunday afternoon, describing some members of the squad as “maggots” shortly after the team’s 0-0 draw at Reading. “I know Joey. I know him on a different level and I know that when things go against him personally he comes out with some unbelievable comments,” Derry told talkSPORT. “Deep down he’s a fighter, but at the same time, when you’re down and you’re really at the bottom of what’s been a horrible season perhaps it wasn’t the wisest thing.” Press Association
QPR midfielder Stephane Mbia appears to be angling for a move back to former club Marseille after Rangers dropped out of the Barclays Premier League. Press Association The Cameroon international moved to Loftus Road last summer, with Joey Barton making a loan move to Marseille as part of the deal. But, after being unable to help QPR avoid the drop, he took to Twitter to contact Barton and see if he was interested in returning to the west London club in his place. He wrote: “@Joey7Barton: Do you want to rechange (sic) your seat with me?” Barton, who was sent off on his last appearance for QPR and was handed a subsequent 12-game ban, has repeatedly told of how he is enjoying his time in France with Marseille and was quick to respond to Mbia’s request. “How do I answer this politically? Er…Nope (sic),” he Tweeted. “If you go down with a team, you should stay and help them up mate. They need you all to stick together and help them back.” Mbia, 26, has since removed the Tweet and said on the social networking site he only asked in jest. Mbia backtracked again shortly after, tweeting: “No it was not a joke i delette my tweet on pressure. I want speak with #qpr but they don’t want. So… #qpr #om.”
“To put that to one side is a big decision and a hard decision but when your body says you need to put something aside to keep yourself in good condition for your club, which is your day to day job, the decision has to be made. “I’m as passionate as the next man and I’ve always loved doing that. But there comes a time when your body tells you what to do. “If I want to remain fit and well and playing consistent football at the top level it had to give somewhere and international football was that. “I had a good stint in international football but now I want to give my everything to Manchester United.” Although he had yet to play under Roy Hodgson, the prospect of the United defender adding to his 81 caps did seem possible, despite the confusion over his recent call-up and subsequent withdrawal from the World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro due to an “intricate and pre-planned training regime”. Ferdinand had earlier issued a formal statement, in which he urged England to put their faith in the current crop of younger defenders. With Ferdinand and John Terry, for so long mainstays of the side, both now retired there is room for others to grow and Ferdinand will be behind them all the way. “After a great deal of thought, I have decided the time is right for me to retire from international football,” Ferdinand’s statement read. “At the age of 34, I feel it is right for me to stand aside and let the younger players come through, which allows me to concentrate on my club career.” Ferdinand, 34, announced his international retirement on Wednesday – ending any lingering hopes of a playing at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. “I think I owed it to Manchester United to do that but it wasn’t easy, I’m not going to lie,” he told MUTV. Press Association Rio Ferdinand felt he “owed it to Manchester United” to call time on his England career.
Eight players have now been brought in by Reds boss Brendan Rodgers this summer, with Monday’s arrivals following those of Kolo Toure, Iago Aspas, Luis Alberto, Simon Mignolet and Aly Cissokho. Moses told Liverpoolfc.com: “First and foremost, I’m delighted to have made the loan from Chelsea to a big club like Liverpool. “The most important thing is for me to be professional about it and I’m here to do a job for the club. “The target is to get into the top four and for the club to compete in the Champions League – and I’m delighted to be here. “The manager has done very well and the formation and players here will help me and I just want to gel in, get to know the players and play with them. “There are a lot of quality players here – they’re winning games and creating chances. It’s a massive thing for me to be here.” France defender Sakho played 201 games for PSG, securing the Ligue 1 title with the capital club last season to add to winners’ medals in the 2010 Coupe de France and the 2008 Coupe de la Ligue. But now the 23-year-old, who can operate in central defence or at left-back and has won 14 caps for Les Bleus, cannot wait to get started for his new team. Liverpool have announced their third signing of the day after confirming Chelsea forward Victor Moses had joined on a season-long loan. Press Association “I’m delighted to be here,” he told www.liverpoolfc.com. ”I’d like to thank everyone for the welcome. “I came here because the project that is in place at Liverpool interests me. “I’m really looking forward to playing my first game.” He continued: ”I’m really looking forward to cracking on with work and I can’t wait to get on (the) pitch. “I know the Liverpool fans are fantastic and while I was in France, it was clear for me to see they are amongst the best in England.” Portuguese centre-back Ilori was equally thrilled to have arrived on Merseyside. “It feels great being a Liverpool player – coming to the Premier League has always been a dream for me,” the 20-year-old said. “I’m going to try to achieve everything I can. I want to play as much as possible and we’ll see what the future holds. I will give my all and try my best to help the team.” The 6ft 3in London-born centre-back has represented Portugal at Under-18, Under-19 and Under-20 level, and has played at Anfield for Sporting in the 2011-12 NextGen Series. ”I know the history of the club and the Premier League is the best league in the world, in my opinion,” he added. ”Liverpool have a great team and I think it’s the place for me to be at the moment. ”I know there have been some great teams here in the past and the club has won a lot of trophies and I want to be a part of it.” The triple swoop will no doubt add to the feeling of optimism around the club, who have started the Premier League season with three straight wins. The Reds had already brought in defenders Tiago Ilori and Mamadou Sakho from Sporting Lisbon and Paris St Germain respectively. Moses only joined Chelsea last summer, scoring 10 goals in 42 appearances, and his switch was confirmed on transfer deadline day after he passed a medical at the Anfield club.
The 27-year-old is currently understudy to the Dutchman at St James’ Park, but was handed a chance to impress by manager Alan Pardew during the second half of last season when first an ankle injury and then a dislocated shoulder forced Krul onto the sidelines. However, the Holland international is now back in harness, leaving Elliot fighting for a place once again, and it is a battle for which he is fully prepared. Newcastle goalkeeper Rob Elliot has warned Tim Krul he is gunning for his place as he attempts to force his way onto the international stage. “We are good mates anyway, so there’s nothing nasty there. Tim knows I work hard and I want to get in the team, and he knows he has got to keep me out. “As long as we are both putting in performances like we have been doing recently, that’s all we can do.” Elliot has an added incentive to force his way ahead of Krul in the pecking order as he attempts to fulfil his ambition of playing senior international football for the Republic of Ireland. He has to date been overlooked by current manager Giovanni Trapattoni, whose reign looks to be drawing to a close in the wake of Tuesday night’s 1-0 qualifying defeat in Austria, although his lack of first-team football will not have helped. Greenwich-born Elliot, whose father’s family is from Cork, said: “I would love to eventually get a call-up one day. “I played a lot at youth level. I have been slightly disappointed not to get a call-up. “But the thing is, they have got three top keepers – and one of them is my best friend in football, Darren Randolph – so I can’t really complain. “It’s more of a privilege to get an international call-up, you can’t demand it, so I just have to keep playing well and hopefully I get noticed. “We have always been cricket England and football Ireland in my family, believe it or not, so it would be fantastic to get an opportunity. But I will just have to see how it goes.” The former Charlton keeper said: “Tim is a top keeper and he is the number one, but I am not here just to sit on the bench. I am here to push him. “That’s what I did all pre-season and I was disappointed, to be honest with you, not to start the season. “I had a chat with the gaffer and he said, ‘Tim is the number one, so you have to accept that’. “But I just said I want to keep training, keep working hard and prove that I can hopefully get into the team. “Obviously, Tim has been fantastic, as he usually is. All I can do is back it up when I get a chance to play and keep doing well in training.” Despite the competition between them, Elliot and Krul are close friends, although that will not prevent either from doing all they can to get the better of the other. Elliot, who started the 2-0 Capital One Cup victory at Morecambe last month, said: “Obviously, I want the club to do well and whoever plays – if it’s Tim, which is more than likely – then I want him to do well. “But I want to make sure that he knows (I am here) to keep him on his toes and keep him honest. Press Association