Wilmington Senior Center To Hold Pasta Meatball Dinner With Live Music On

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Senior Center has organized a yummy pasta and meatball dinner on Monday, August 12, 2019, from 4:30pm to 6:30pm. Entertainment will be provided from the Wilmington High School’s Summer Music Group. Tickets costs $4. Register now at the Senior Center’s Front Desk.(NOTE: The above information is from the latest Wilmington Senior Center newsletter.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSENIOR CENTER SPOTLIGHT: Game Night On July 25; Fun Day On August 28In “Community”5 Things To Do In Wilmington On Monday, August 12, 2019In “5 Things To Do Today”SENIOR CENTER SPOTLIGHT: Senior Center To Hold Trip To Vermont Country Store & Green Mountains On October 8In “Community”last_img read more

HSC and equivalent exams begin today

first_imgHSC and its equivalent examinations of 2018 under 10 education boards begin across the country today. Photo: BSSThe Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) and its equivalent examinations of 2018 under 10 education boards begin across the country today amid tough measures taken to check question paper leakage and other malpractices in the examinations.A total of 13,11,457 examinees from 8,864 educational institutions will appear in the examinations this year. Of them, 6, 35,697 are male and 5,47,989 female, said officials of the education ministry.They said only the in-charge officers of respective centres will be allowed to enter the examination halls with mobile phones as they will be given instruction via a text message about the set of question papers.The authorities will open envelopes of question papers about 25 minutes before the examinations start and they have already taken decision to shut down all the coaching centres till completion of the examinations, a top official of the ministry told a meeting recently.He said all the authorities concerned are sincerely working to root out all possible sources of question paper leakage as a vested quarter is involved in the malpractices.A total of 10,92,607 candidates are set to sit for the examinations from eight general education boards while 1, 00,127 under the Madrasa Education Board and 1, 17,754 from the Technical education board. A total of 1, 27,771 candidates have been increased this year comparing to the previous year.Besides, 299 students will appear in the examinations from seven overseas centres.All the examinees have been asked to take their seats in the examination centres 30 minutes before the examinations begin.The written examinations will continue until 13 May while the practical examinations will be held from 14 to 23 May.Candidates with physical disabilities will receive an additional 20 minutes in the examinations while the examinees with special needs, including those with autism, will get 30 additional minutes.A total of 11, 83,686 examinees appeared in the HSC and equivalent examinations last year.last_img read more

S Korea US to suspend major military drills

first_imgU.S. president Donald Trump and North Korea`s leader Kim Jong Un meet in a one-on-one bilateral session at the start of their summit at the Capella Hotel on the resort island of Sentosa, Singapore 12 June. Photo: AFPSouth Korea and the United States are expected to announce the suspension of “large-scale” military drills this week, with the provision that they would restart if North Korea failed to keep its promise to denuclearise, news agency Yonhap said on Sunday.Citing an unnamed government source, the South Korean news agency said the suspension was likely to affect only major joint exercises, not more routine military training.U.S. president Donald Trump surprised officials in Seoul and Washington when he pledged to end “war games” after his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore last week.Immediately after the announcement, U.S. forces in Korea said they had received no guidance on stopping any drills, and South Korean officials said they were trying to figure out which exercises Trump was referring to.However, in a sign Seoul may be open to suspending drills, South Korean president Moon Jae-in said on Thursday his government would need to be flexible when it came to applying military pressure on North Korea if it was sincere about denuclearisation.Moon said South Korea would carefully consider joint military drills with the United States and he asked his officials to cooperate with the United States on the issue, his office said in a statement at the time.Yonhap also reported on Sunday that during military talks between the two Koreas on Thursday, South Korean officials asked their northern counterparts to relocate artillery 30 to 40 kilometres away from the heavily fortified military demarcation line that divides the two countries.The South’s defense ministry denied it made such a request, Yonhap said.The talks, the first in more than a decade, held in the border village of Panmunjom in the demilitarised zone (DMZ), followed an inter-Korean summit in April at which leaders of the two Koreas agreed to defuse tensions and cease “all hostile acts”.North and South Korea failed to reach any concrete agreement during those talks, officials said.North Korea proposed to Seoul to disarm, on a trial basis, the Joint Security Area in Panmunjom, the only site in the DMZ where both countries’ soldiers stand almost face to face, the South’s presidential spokesman said on Friday.About 28,500 U.S. troops are stationed in South Korea, a legacy of the Korean War, which ended in 1953 in an armistice that left the two Koreas technically still at war.At a Senate hearing on Thursday, Trump’s nominee to be ambassador to South Korea, Harry Harris, backed the idea of a “pause” in major military exercises. He said his understanding was that any suspension would involve only major military exercises and that regular training of U.S. forces in South Korea would continue, although final decisions were up to the department of defense.The U.S.-South Korean exercise calendar hits a high point every year with the Foal Eagle and Max Thunder drills, which both wrapped up last month.The next major drill, Ulchi Freedom Guardian, is planned for the end of the summer.Last year, 17,500 American and more than 50,000 South Korean troops participated in the Ulchi Freedom Guardian drills, although the exercise is mostly focused on computerised simulations rather than live field exercises that use weapons, tanks or aircraft.last_img