2 drivers charged for causing death

first_imgTwo drivers who allegedly caused the death of a Diamond, East Bank Demerara woman were on Friday charged with causing death by dangerous driving.Keith Hollingsworth, 47, of Linden and Ron Walker were jointly charged for causing the death of Samsonisha Batterlamo by driving dangerously on August 21, 2017.It is alleged that they respectively drove motorcar PJJ 8918 and motor lorry GGG 9877 in a dangerous manner, thereby causing the woman’s death.Walker failed to appear in court on Friday, and a warrant has been issued for his arrest.In Hollingsworth’s presence, the court heard that the deceased had just left the Diamond Diagnostic Centre in a taxi when it collided with the two defendants’ vehicles, as they were said to be overtaking the car in which she was travelling.Hollingsworth has been placed on $200,000 bail, and is expected to report to the Ruimveldt Police Station on a weekly basis. His passport also has been lodged with the court.The case will continue on February 13.last_img read more

Spring runoff this Sunday

first_imgBy Energeticcity.ca staff The ‘Spring Runoff’ road race and walk is set for this Sunday.- Advertisement -The annual event features both competitive and recreational runs and walks, with all proceeds going to the Canadian Diabetes Foundation.Registration starts at 9 a.m., and the races start at 10 a.m.Check out the previous story for more information.last_img

Neymar set to return for Brazil v Colombia – Tite

first_img0Shares0000Brazil coach Tite says he expects Neymar to make his return from injury in Friday’s friendly against Colombia in Miami © AFP / Martin BUREAUMIAMI, United States, Sep 5 – Brazil coach Tite said Neymar will make a long-awaited return from injury when the South American champions take on Colombia in a friendly in Miami on Friday.Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar has not played since suffering an ankle injury in a friendly against Qatar in June which ruled him out of the Copa America. However Tite Thursday said the striker had been declared fit and ready to return against the Colombians in Friday’s game at the Hard Rock Stadium.“Clinically he has recovered from the injury that as everyone remembers removed him from the Copa America,” Tite said.“If he wasn’t fit, he wouldn’t be with the national team. We are not irresponsible to force a situation when it concerns the athlete’s health,” Tite added.“Me and the coaching staff will be very attentive to his development. He is ready, he is capable of doing what the team needs,” he added.Brazil went on to win the Copa America crown without Neymar in July, their first victory in the tournament since 2007.Since then Neymar has been embroiled in a protracted saga, which saw him fail in his attempts to engineer a move back to Barcelona from PSG.Tite meanwhile said he expects a demanding test of his team against Colombia, who were eliminated in the quarter-finals of this year’s Copa America.“It will be a strong confrontation. We all know the quality of the Colombian national team,” Tite said.While the game will mark the return of Neymar, Tite also plans to hand a debut to Real Madrid’s 19-year-old Vinicius Jr.“I’m happy to be here realising my dream,” Vinicius said. “It’s hard to believe that at 19 I’m here next to the best players, next to my idol (Neymar) and the players I’d always supported,” he told a press conference.Colombia meanwhile will be without star attackers Radamel Falcao and James Rodriguez.0Shares0000(Visited 36 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Manchester City star keen on Serie A switch

first_img Manchester City star Aleksandar Kolarov 1 Manchester City full-back Aleksandar Kolarov has admitted he would like to return to Italy.The Serbian previously spent three years in Serie A with Lazio, before joining City for £16m in July 2010.The 29-year-old has gone on to win two Premier League titles, the Capital One Cup and the FA Cup during his time in Manchester, while he also signed a contract extension until 2018 last summer.However, the defender has now revealed he would like to return to Italy and praised his form club Lazio.“I’d like to return to Italy, but it’s difficult,” Kolarov told Sky Italia.“I’m happy for [Sampdoria coach Sinisa] Mihajlovic, he’s doing very well, as are Lazio. They’re having a great season and I hope they can end it in third or even second place.”last_img read more

Ex-Atletico Madrid and current Watford boss Quique Sanchez Flores excited for reunion with Manchester United’s David De Gea

first_img Ex-Atletico Madrid and current Watford boss Quique Sanchez Flores excited for David De Gea reunion 1 Quique Sanchez Flores has revealed that he is looking forward to a reunion with Manchester United’s David De Gea, having given the goalkeeper his break.Watford host United in the Premier League on Saturday, seven seasons after Sanchez Flores promoted De Gea into Atletico Madrid’s first team, and his former manager, now in charge at Watford, believes he has matured into the world’s best.De Gea was Atletico’s third choice when Sanchez Flores was appointed manager in October 2009 but he ended the season in the first team and close to making Spain’s victorious squad for the 2010 World Cup.Since then he has proved himself a suitable successor to Edwin van der Sar at United and been the subject of intense interest from Real Madrid, but Sanchez Flores – who the goalkeeper grew so close to he bought him a pocket watch as a present – believes he should remain in the Premier League, and is convinced that his experience in England has been vital to his development.“I gave David his debut. He was the third-choice ‘keeper and after one month he was first choice,” Sanchez Flores said.“He was amazing. You just need to focus on the training and watch how he is taking the ball and handling it.“For me he is probably the best goalkeeper in the world. I got a present after two years when we separated, it was a clock.“The watch is an antique, golden on a chain. You wear it in your pocket. It is very English. I don’t remember but I think there was an inscription. I still have it. I won’t wear it, that’s too much.“(But) he has everything, he is more than a goalkeeper. He can control everything, the ball in the air. He is good in the goal and out of the goal. For me he is the top three best goalkeepers in the world.“It would be perfect for the Premier League for him to stay and perfect for him. He needed to come here to learn.“I’ve talked a lot about De Gea but with his confidence it will be very difficult to score past him.“I have (a special relationship with De Gea). (And) with (David) Silva and (Sergio) Aguero, I wanted to wait until after the game because I don’t like to speak to opponents before the game. I try to respect.“I don’t like my players to see me having a relationship with other players, hugging them. I will wait in my dressing room, for sure. After the game, of course, I will spend time with him.”United visit Watford after a period in which they have been labelled boring by their own fans, owing to their predictability and lack of goals.Flores, however, does not agree with that verdict, and believes that not only is their ball retention “amazing” but that United will improve further.“It is amazing ball possession,” he said. “This is a process. (Their manager Louis) Van Gaal is doing a bit to respect the style of play, to keep the ball and after with the idea to (score). It is not boring. At the moment they are doing their first objective – to keep the ball.“The other part of the process is to be offensive, aggressive in the last third. Maybe at the moment they are not so aggressive in the last third but they are efficient, because they are shooting three and put three in the goal. So it is a process.”last_img read more

Jonas Gutierrez wins disability discrimination case against Newcastle

first_img1 Former Newcastle star Jonas Gutierrez has won his disability discrimination claim against his old club.Gutierrez alleged he was frozen out of the first team because of his diagnosis with testicular cancer in 2013.Newcastle rejected the claim, saying the midfielder simply did not feature in successive managers’ plans for the squad.The 32-year-old brought employment tribunal claim against his former club for disability discrimination after accusing management of ensuring he failed to make enough appearances on the pitch to trigger a lucrative one-year contract extension worth up to £2million.On Thursday the tribunal panel, delivering its findings in a 64-page document, said: “We concluded that the reason why the respondent managed the claimant’s selection was because they no longer wanted him at the club because of his cancer.”They added that the club “made a very rapid decision” after Gutierrez’s return following treatment at the end of 2013, “that they no longer wanted him, because of his cancer”.The panel also found there was then “a continuing course of conduct” by Newcastle to “remove” the midfielder from the club.Gutierrez, currently playing for Spanish side Deportivo La Coruna, spent seven seasons with Newcastle after joining the club in 2008, and underwent an operation to remove a tumour in his left testicle in October 2013.In his statement to the tribunal hearing last month in Birmingham, the midfielder said he was called into then manager Alan Pardew’s office in early December 2013 – when he felt he was returning to full fitness – to be told that he did not feature in Newcastle’s future plans and was free to agree terms with another club.A further claim that the club failed to make reasonable adjustments for Gutierrez succeeded.Two other claims of unfavourable treatment and harassment brought by the player failed.A remedy hearing is now due to be scheduled to determine Gutierrez’s compensation. Gutierrez alleged he was frozen out of the first team because of his diagnosis with testicular cancer in 2013 last_img read more

FINAL CALL FOR DONEGAL YOUTH VOLUNTEERS TO ENTER 2016 PRAMERICA SPIRIT OF COMMUNITY AWARDS

first_imgPramerica Spirit of Community Awards 2015Tamara Bradley from Stranorlar, Co. Donegal receiving her 2015 Pramerica Spirit of Community Award from Brent Pope, Guest of Honour & Andrea McBride, Vice President – Systems, Pramerica Systems IrelandStudents from across County Donegal who give their time to help in their local community are being encouraged to enter the 2016 Pramerica Spirit of Community Awards before the deadline of 23rd October.The 2016 programme year marks the 10th anniversary of the Pramerica Spirit of Community Awards, the only all-Ireland youth initiative of its kind which rewards post-primary students for outstanding acts of volunteerism and the positive contribution they make in their local communities and further afield.The last call for entry is being supported by The National Association of Principals and Deputy Principals (NAPD), The General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland (GTCNI),Foróige and Scouting Ireland, which partner with Letterkenny-based Pramerica Systems Ireland. “With only a few days left to enter the 2016 Pramerica Spirit of Community Awards, we are urging youth volunteers from across the island of Ireland to submit their application online before the 23rd October,” said Andrea McBride, vice president, Pramerica Systems Ireland.“In this 10th anniversary year, we want to inspire and motivate even more young people to get involved in volunteering, and recognise their dedication and commitment in supporting their local communities. We would encourage all school principals to shine a light on their pupils’ inspirational volunteering stories and enter the awards to celebrate the strength of volunteerism in Ireland.”Application forms can be completed and submitted online to a principal or deputy principal at www.pramerica.ie/spirit. Students must complete and submit their applications by 23 October. Principals then have until 6th November to nominate students for national-level recognition. Every school can submit a maximum of two applications to go forward for national judging.Prizes for the 20 finalists include €500, an invitation to the Gala Awards dinner and fantastic recognition for the school. Two All-Ireland Youth Volunteers of the Year will also be selected from the finalists, each of whom will receive €1,000 for their chosen charity and a trip to the United States. For further updates on the 10th annual awards, follow the Pramerica Spirit of Community Facebook page and Twitter feed, or visit www.pramerica.ie/spirit. Past finalists, honourees, teachers, partners, supporters and ambassadors are also encouraged to connect with the programme and share their anniversary messages and memories via the Facebook and Twitter pages.FINAL CALL FOR DONEGAL YOUTH VOLUNTEERS TO ENTER 2016 PRAMERICA SPIRIT OF COMMUNITY AWARDS was last modified: October 17th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalletterkennyPramerica Spirit of Community Awardslast_img read more

Celtic confirm ex-Man City star signs new four-year deal

first_img The 22-year-old celebrates his stunner against Motherwell at Hampden last year Olivier Ntcham has signed a new deal with Celtic to keep him at Parkhead until 2022, the Scottish Premiership champions have confirmed.The midfielder signed from Genoa in the summer of 2017, making 68 appearances for the Hoops and since becoming an integral member of Brendan Rodgers’ side. 1 #Ntcham2022 😄✍️ Olivier Ntcham has signed a new four-year deal which will see him remain at #CelticFC until at least the summer of 2022! ➡️ https://t.co/yD2ATsh5Ut pic.twitter.com/qdvSWsHTaR— Celtic Football Club (@CelticFC) November 9, 2018“I want to improve on everything in respect of the game. Scoring more goals is, of course, part of the game and is important for me as well.”Ntcham left Le Havre for Manchester City in 2012 for £1million. Three years later, he signed a five-year deal with the Citizens before joining Genoa on a two-year loan deal. He has scored 14 goals, including a stunner against Motherwell at Hampden last season to help secure the club’s historic Double Treble.“I’m delighted to extend my contract,” the 22-year-old told Celtic TV. “It’s good news and I hope we’re going to win more trophies. It’s a great side and I’m glad to be part of the project.“Having a strong bond with the players is very important for the team, and for the club.“I feel good here and I hope we’re going to win more trophies and that we can be even more successful this year than last year.last_img read more

BREAKING NEWS: SNOW AND ICE CAUSING PROBLEMS ON THE ROADS

first_imgBREAKING NEWS: SNOW and ice are causing problems on many roads this morning.Donegal County Council gritters were out overnight on main roads and are continuing to grit this morning.However there have been some substantial snow falls in the past hour, particularly over higher ground in Inishowen. AA Roadwatch and Met Eireann say conditions are poor in many areas.Gardai are worried that the mild winter so far may have lulled many motorists into a false sense of security on the roads.Meanwhile British newspapers the Daily Mirror, Daily Express and Daily Telegraph are all reporting today that Britain is in for a month of Siberian weather conditions.There is no indication however from any of our Irish forecasters that those conditions are headed our way. © 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailySell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.com BREAKING NEWS: SNOW AND ICE CAUSING PROBLEMS ON THE ROADS was last modified: January 27th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:snow ice weather warning donegallast_img read more

The Norwich v QPR quiz

first_imgQPR face Norwich City at Carrow Road on Saturday. Test your knowledge of the recent history involving the two clubs by seeing how many of these five questions you can answer correctly.[wp-simple-survey-16]Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img