No casualty reported in Kidderpore slum fire

first_imgKolkata: A major fire broke out at a slum in Kidderpore on Thursday afternoon. The fire was controlled after almost an hour. No injury reported. According to sources, on Thursday, around 1 pm, the fire broke out at a temporary shanty at a slum in Kantapukur located on Bhukailash Road. Fire brigade was informed immediately and 10 fire tenders were pressed into action in phases. Before a single fire tender could reach, fire started spreading due to high wind. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaSoon, almost 20 shanties in the slum were gutted in fire. Firefighters started spraying water but, they reportedly faced difficulties while dousing the flames as the road was too narrow and the area was congested. Also, the shanties in the slum were filled with inflammable materials. Around 2 pm, the fire was controlled. The cooling process of the gutted area went on till the evening. State Fire minister Sujit Bose and Director General of state Fire and Emergency Services Department, Jag Mohan went to the spot and supervised the work. Some local residents alleged that fire brigade reached a bit late due to which the fire started spreading in other shanties. However, fire brigade officials denied the allegation and stated that they were facing trouble entering the area as the roads were narrow. As the area was congested, firefighters faced problems. It is suspected that the fire had broken out due to short circuit as water seeped into electrical wires.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *