Most Read News, September 12 – 18, 2016

first_img September 18, 2016 Authorities Back to overview,Home naval-today Most Read News, September 12 – 18, 2016 Most Read News, September 12 – 18, 2016center_img Share this article View post tag: Most Read Newslast_img

Kane named Alwaleed Professor of Contemporary Islamic Religion and Society

first_img Read Full Story Ousmane Kane, scholar of Islamic studies and comparative and Islamic politics, has been appointed as the first Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Professor of Contemporary Islamic Religion and Society at Harvard Divinity School (HDS). Kane’s appointment begins in July, and he will begin teaching in the 2013 spring term.“The Alwaleed Chair of Contemporary Islamic Religion and Society is further recognition of the important, yet longtime neglected, fields of African studies and Islamic studies,” Kane said. “The professorship will give greater visibility to the study of Islam in Africa and bring it further into larger debates about Islam and politics, Islam and modernity, and Islam in international affairs. I am thrilled to join the distinguished faculty at the Divinity School.”Kanee has been an associate professor of international and public affairs at Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs since 2002. He received an M.Phil. and a Ph.D. in political science from the Institut d’Études Politiques de Paris, as well as an M.A. in translation and documentation from the École Supérieure d’Interprètes et de Traducteurs.“Professor Kane is a distinguished historian and interpreter of Islamic religion and practice in West Africa, as well as a discerning analyst of transnational connections between African immigrant communities and their West African homeland,” said William A. Graham, Harvard University Distinguished Service Professor and former HDS dean. “He will be a major new resource for both the Divinity School and the wider University in the study of African religion and society and transnational Islam.”last_img read more

Cops: Bayport Man hits Sayville Home, Arrested for DUI

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 33-year-old Bayport man, who was arrested early Saturday morning for driving under the influence, lost control of his vehicle and crashed into a Sayville home, Suffolk County police said.Police said Cory Schaetzle was driving a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu south on Broadway Avenue at 3:14 a.m. when he lost control of the vehicle, struck a pole and then continued onto the yard of a Broadway Avenue home, “grazing” the front corner of the house.The residents—who were not injured—dialed 911, police said.Schaetzle was treated for minor injuries at Soutside Hospital in Bay Shore, police said.He will be arraigned Sunday on a charge of driving under the influence.last_img

Tax reform vote expected today; CU exemption safe

first_imgThe House – and possibly the Senate – is expected today to vote on the agreed-upon tax reform legislation released Friday by House-Senate conference leaders. The credit union tax exemption, thanks to consistent advocacy by NAFCU and its members, is untouched in the final language.NAFCU President and CEO Dan Berger and other members of NAFCU’s legislative affairs team have been actively engaged on Capitol Hill and with the White House to ensure the credit union tax exemption was left alone. In August, the association met with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to discuss tax reform efforts, and Berger was invited on FOX Business to explain the importance of the exemption. The association has held numerous meetings with senators, representatives and administration officials throughout the year.Last month, NAFCU launched a grassroots effort calling on member credit unions to defend the industry’s tax-exempt status at the local level as some in the banking industry called for its elimination. continue reading » 16SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

Realme 6 Pro New Update in India Comes With Super Power-Saving Mode, October 2020 Security Patch

first_imgRealme 6 Pro has started receiving the November 2020 over-the-air (OTA) update in India. The update adds new features such as a super power-saving mode, multi-user feature, and a ‘from sunset to sunrise’ setting for eye comfort. Besides that, it also brings the October 2020 Android Security Patch to the phone, along with system improvement and fixes. The update will have a staged rollout, which means that only a limited number of Realme 6 Pro users will receive it initially.The firmware version for the update is RMX2061_11.A.37. Realme announced the update for Realme 6 Pro on its official forum. Users can check for the update in their phone settings if they haven’t received a notification yet. It should be noted that the full rollout will take a few days as it is being rolled out in a phased manner. Realme will start a broader rollout after it is assured that there are no critical bugs in the update.Realme 6 Pro November 2020 update changelog- Advertisement – – Advertisement – As per the changelog, the latest update for Realme 6 Pro will optimise the default state of the brightness lock. Changes to calls include optimising the layout of the call setting interface and fixing an issue regarding the ‘Reject With SMS’ feature. The new Realme 6 Pro update will add a toggle to the settings interface of Screenshot. There will also be a new toggle for the keyboard when entering the app drawer, along with another toggle for system icons in the Status Bar.The November 2020 update for Realme 6 Pro will optimise the language display issue of HeyTap in some scenarios. An issue that resulted in an abnormal preview of the recording video interface when filming in 1080P/60 frames has also been fixed, as per the changelog.Is Realme TV the best TV under Rs. 15,000 in India? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.- Advertisement –last_img read more

It is Mo Farah vs Gebrselassie – off the track

first_img“The watch was sentimental -– it can’t be replaced.”Farah, who finished third in last year’s race but has since set a new European record in landing the prestigious Chicago Marathon, also revealed the contents of a text message he sent Gebrselassie when he lost patience at not having his pleas for help answered.“I want to inform you that I’m disappointed you have not made any effort to find my stolen money, and especially my watch,” the text read.“I have tried to contact you by telephone several times.“Know that I am not responsible for what I say during the press conference in London and what influence it will have on your personality and your business. Greetings, Sir (he has been ennobled by Queen Elizabeth II) Mo.”Gebrselassie, who also won four outdoor world titles in his illustrious career, hit back claiming the text message looked like “an act of blackmailing and accusation” and added there had been “multiple reports of disgraceful conduct” at the hotel levelled against Farah and his entourage.Gebrselassie denied the alleged robbery had been taken lightly, saying that five hotel staff were held in custody for three weeks while it was investigated.“They were later released by legal bodies after they were found clear,” said Gebrselassie.“The police were doing all their investigation thoroughly, but found nothing on the reported robbery case.”It appears that the case has escalated to such an extent that the two athletics greats could end up in court.“He (Farah) hired a lawyer in Ethiopia,” Gebrselassie told The Guardian on Thursday.“And we have our own lawyer. And now the fight will start and we will see -– and one of us will be the winner.”Meanwhile, the manager of the hotel involved criticised Farah’s behaviour during his stay.“Mo had caused a nuisance by cursing, acting disrespectfully and boasting about his wealth and athletics success to staff and customers,” Lemessa Boto told AFP. Sir Mo Farah conduct being questionedLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Athletics icons Mo Farah and Haile Gebrselassie are locked in an escalating dispute just days away from the London Marathon with claims of robbery and an alleged assault at the heart of the row.Britain’s quadruple Olympic champion Farah, aiming to win Sunday’s race, went public at his pre-marathon press conference with claims Gebrselassie had made no effort to recover items stolen from his room at the Ethiopian’s hotel near Addis Ababa.Farah was staying at the hotel in late March as part of training for Sunday’s prestigious race.Gebrselassie — a two-time Olympic champion — hit back by accusing Farah of not paying his heavily discounted hotel bill and told The Guardian on Thursday Farah had been seen by several people punching and kicking a husband and his wife in the gym.“Farah said to him (the husband): ‘Why are you following me?’” Gebrselassie told the Guardian, adding that the man had been copying Farah’s exercise routine.“The guy said he wasn’t — and that he was just doing his work.“Immediately Farah punched them and kicked them by foot. Especially the husband. There were lots of witnesses.”Farah’s camp denied the allegations.“There was an incident at the gym a number of weeks ago, at which Haile was not present but it was categorically not of Mo’s making,” a source close to Farah told The Guardian.“He immediately raised a complaint to the highest level within the police force.“The individuals concerned were warned that any further threatening behaviour towards Mo would result in police action.”For his part Gebrselassie maintained that it was only thanks to his personal intervention police dropped an assault case against Farah.The dispute was escalating as Farah was engaged in hardly ideal preparations for taking on world record holder and defending champion Eliud Kipchoge in Sunday’s marathon.He alleged on Wednesday that around £2,500 pounds ($3,200) had been stolen on March 23 — his 36th birthday — from his hotel room along with a watch given to him by his wife Tania.He had also earlier strongly dismissed Gebrselassie’s assault accusations, saying they were an effort to “distract from the situation, where members of his hotel staff used a room key and stole money and items from Mo Farah’s room”.– Disgraceful conduct –“Someone’s got the key from reception, opened it up, took my money, took my nice watch that my wife got me, and two phones,” said Farah. Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Mallard’s Team of the Week — Nelson Special Olympians

first_imgThe Provincial Special Olympics are calling, and members of the Nelson chapter of Special Olympics are ready to take up the challenge.The local Special Olympians have recently completed an outstanding season of competition and are now ready to take put their skills to the test against the best in the province at the Special Olympics Provincial games in Langley, July 11-14. The Nelson delegation is proud to be sending seven athletes, one bocce player and seven soccer stars to the Langley game.Mallard’s Source for sports want to help with the send off by selecting the Special Olympians Team of the Week.Pictured are coaches and curlers, bowlers, bocce and soccer players from the Nelson Special Olympics following a recent event.Great job and good luck Team Nelson.Go Nelson!!last_img

Junior High Rodeo competition gets underway at state finals

first_imgRed Bluff >> The 2017 California Junior High Rodeo State Finals got underway Thursday and Friday with a shooting competition Thursday and the first rodeo events at the Tehama District Fairground Friday.As of noon Friday, Miley Bunting of Red Bluff, District 1, had won the first go of Barrel Racing; Wyatt Smith, District 3 won the Tie-Down Roping and Wyatt Roseberry, District 5 won Boys Breakaway Roping. The second go starts at 8 a.m. Saturday at the fairgrounds.The first event, the .22 Light …last_img

St. Bernard’s storms into Division IV semifinals with blowout win over San Marin

first_imgEureka >> It was simply a matter of settling down.Once the Crusaders did that and tarted clicking, that was all she wrote.Senior running back Garrison Roach scored four touchdowns on the ground and was an absolute force on the defensive side of the ball while senior quarterback T.J. Campbell threw four first-half TD passes in top-seeded St. Bernard’s 64-21 win over No. 8 San Marin at Crusader Field on Saturday afternoon.“The passing game, that’s what gets us the touchdowns. It gets us to the …last_img

GIRLS BASKETBALL PREVIEW: Red Bluff returns stacked roster, Cards to lean on Castle

first_imgRed Bluff >> With a stacked corps coming back, the Red Bluff High girls basketball team opens the season at home Tuesday against nonconference foe University Prep of Redding. The Spartans return their top four offensive players including their No. 1 from a year ago, Jesse Miller. The junior combination guard averaged a double-double last year as Red Bluff went 13-11 overall and 3-7 in the Eastern Athletic-Sac River League. Miller scored an average of 12.2 points and 10 rebounds per game. She …last_img