PREMIUMConflicts, difficult terrain hamper vaccination program in Papua

first_imgLinkedin LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Log in with your social account Forgot Password ? Papua vaccination children health Facebook Thousands of infants in several regions of Papua had still not received complete basic vaccinations as of January, the province’s health agency has said.Complete basic vaccinations are given to infants below 12 months old, including vaccinations for Polio, Hepatitis B and rotavirus.Papua Health Agency’s surveillance and vaccination division head Togu Sihombing said the vaccination program was behind its initial target of 68,293 infants.“There are 46,716 infants below 12 months old that have received complete basic vaccinations, while 21,577 infants have not,” he told The Jakarta Post on Jan. 31.According to the agency’s data, the children who still have not received vaccinations are located in remote areas such as Jayawijaya and Paniai regencies.The vaccination rate has declined nationwide amid growing conservatism and conflicts… Topics : Googlelast_img read more

Government sticking to decision to implement National ID Cards

first_img Sharing is caring! “We have indicated that this Government will go ahead with the national ID Card. The Commission has agreed that they would manage the issuance of the National ID cards. We have requested assistance from the Commonwealth Secretariat,” he said. Prime Minister Hon. Roosevelt Skerrit. Photo credit: GIS NewsDominica is seeking technical assistance from the Commonwealth Secretariat to implement a National ID Card. While the Opposition United Workers Party has called for a voter ID card, Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit told Kairi FM’s Heng Program on Tuesday, that Government is committed to the implementation of the National ID Card. Share Skerrit said the matter is very delicate and sensitive. Share “Antigua has a voter ID card and the last CARICOM meeting, the Prime Minster Baldwin Spencer indicated that they want to move towards a national ID Card and he was requesting technical support from the OAS. He said to me that it may be good for all of us to do it together rather than countries doing it independently,” he said.Dominica Vibes News Share LocalNews Government sticking to decision to implement National ID Cards by: – July 27, 2011 He also noted that the project will become a regional project. 15 Views   no discussions Tweetlast_img read more

It is Mo Farah vs Gebrselassie – off the track

first_img“The watch was sentimental -– it can’t be replaced.”Farah, who finished third in last year’s race but has since set a new European record in landing the prestigious Chicago Marathon, also revealed the contents of a text message he sent Gebrselassie when he lost patience at not having his pleas for help answered.“I want to inform you that I’m disappointed you have not made any effort to find my stolen money, and especially my watch,” the text read.“I have tried to contact you by telephone several times.“Know that I am not responsible for what I say during the press conference in London and what influence it will have on your personality and your business. Greetings, Sir (he has been ennobled by Queen Elizabeth II) Mo.”Gebrselassie, who also won four outdoor world titles in his illustrious career, hit back claiming the text message looked like “an act of blackmailing and accusation” and added there had been “multiple reports of disgraceful conduct” at the hotel levelled against Farah and his entourage.Gebrselassie denied the alleged robbery had been taken lightly, saying that five hotel staff were held in custody for three weeks while it was investigated.“They were later released by legal bodies after they were found clear,” said Gebrselassie.“The police were doing all their investigation thoroughly, but found nothing on the reported robbery case.”It appears that the case has escalated to such an extent that the two athletics greats could end up in court.“He (Farah) hired a lawyer in Ethiopia,” Gebrselassie told The Guardian on Thursday.“And we have our own lawyer. And now the fight will start and we will see -– and one of us will be the winner.”Meanwhile, the manager of the hotel involved criticised Farah’s behaviour during his stay.“Mo had caused a nuisance by cursing, acting disrespectfully and boasting about his wealth and athletics success to staff and customers,” Lemessa Boto told AFP. Sir Mo Farah conduct being questionedLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Athletics icons Mo Farah and Haile Gebrselassie are locked in an escalating dispute just days away from the London Marathon with claims of robbery and an alleged assault at the heart of the row.Britain’s quadruple Olympic champion Farah, aiming to win Sunday’s race, went public at his pre-marathon press conference with claims Gebrselassie had made no effort to recover items stolen from his room at the Ethiopian’s hotel near Addis Ababa.Farah was staying at the hotel in late March as part of training for Sunday’s prestigious race.Gebrselassie — a two-time Olympic champion — hit back by accusing Farah of not paying his heavily discounted hotel bill and told The Guardian on Thursday Farah had been seen by several people punching and kicking a husband and his wife in the gym.“Farah said to him (the husband): ‘Why are you following me?’” Gebrselassie told the Guardian, adding that the man had been copying Farah’s exercise routine.“The guy said he wasn’t — and that he was just doing his work.“Immediately Farah punched them and kicked them by foot. Especially the husband. There were lots of witnesses.”Farah’s camp denied the allegations.“There was an incident at the gym a number of weeks ago, at which Haile was not present but it was categorically not of Mo’s making,” a source close to Farah told The Guardian.“He immediately raised a complaint to the highest level within the police force.“The individuals concerned were warned that any further threatening behaviour towards Mo would result in police action.”For his part Gebrselassie maintained that it was only thanks to his personal intervention police dropped an assault case against Farah.The dispute was escalating as Farah was engaged in hardly ideal preparations for taking on world record holder and defending champion Eliud Kipchoge in Sunday’s marathon.He alleged on Wednesday that around £2,500 pounds ($3,200) had been stolen on March 23 — his 36th birthday — from his hotel room along with a watch given to him by his wife Tania.He had also earlier strongly dismissed Gebrselassie’s assault accusations, saying they were an effort to “distract from the situation, where members of his hotel staff used a room key and stole money and items from Mo Farah’s room”.– Disgraceful conduct –“Someone’s got the key from reception, opened it up, took my money, took my nice watch that my wife got me, and two phones,” said Farah. Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Saint Martin’s University Announces Celebrity Chef Carla Hall as Host of…

first_imgFacebook240Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Saint Martin’s UniveristySaint Martin’s University has announced that the 2019 Saint Martin’s Gala will feature celebrity chef host Carla Hall, best known as the co-host of ABC’s Emmy-award-winning lifestyle series “The Chew.”The Saint Martin’s Gala, which will be on Saturday, Nov. 2, in the Marcus Pavilion on Saint Martin’s main campus in Lacey, is the University’s major fundraising event for student scholarships. Last year’s Gala raised $1.3 million for scholarships. Over the years, the black-tie affair has grown to be the premier culinary event in the South Sound region, featuring a live auction, a five-course gourmet dinner and on-stage cooking demonstrations by celebrity chefs. Previous featured chefs have included Roy Yamaguchi, Ming Tsai, Andrew Zimmern and Ligia Karazawa, Lidia Bastianich and Michael Symon.Saint Martin’s University President Roy F. Heynderickx, Ph.D., said, “We are overjoyed to welcome celebrity chef, author, television personality and restaurateur Carla Hall as the host of Gala 2019. Her winning personality, passion for food and commitment to working with charities and nonprofits makes her a perfect host for the Saint Martin’s University Gala.”Besides her time as a co-host of “The Chew,” Hall is well known as a competitor on Bravo’s “Top Chef” and “Top Chef: All Stars,” where she won over audiences with her philosophy to always cook with love. Her approach to cooking blends her classic French training and Southern upbringing for a twist on traditional favorites. Hall’s cookbooks include the recently published “Carla Hall’s Soul Food: Everyday and Celebration,” which has been nominated for an NAACP Image Award, “Carla’s Comfort Food: Favorite Dishes from Around the World” and “Cooking with Love: Comfort Food That Hugs You.”A native of Nashville, Tennessee, Hall received a degree in accounting from Howard University, but traveling through Europe awakened her passion for food and inspired a new career path. She attended L’Academie de Cuisine in Maryland where she completed her culinary training and worked as a sous chef at the Henley Park Hotel in Washington, DC. She also served as executive chef at both The State Plaza Hotel and The Washington Club, and has taught classes at CulinAerie, Sur la Table and her alma mater, L’Academie de Cuisine. Hall serves as a board member for the Pajama Program and GenYouth. She also works with Chef Jose Andres’ World Central Kitchen Chef Network, DC Central Kitchen, the USO, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Feeding America, Women Chefs and Restaurateurs (WCR) and serves on the advisory boards for the Edible Academy for the New York Botanical Gardens and for the Food and Finance High School in New York City. She is a member of the James Beard Foundation’s Women’s Leadership Advisory Committee and is the culinary ambassador for Sweet Home Cafe at the Smithsonian National Museum for African American History and Culture in Washington, D.C. Hall lives in Washington, D.C., with her husband, Matthew Lyons.The corporate-level sponsors for 2019 Saint Martin’s Gala include: Batdorf & Bronson Coffee Roasters, Bon Appétit Management Company, Capitol City Press, KCTS9, Showcase Magazine and WSECU.Individuals or organizations interested in sponsoring Saint Martin’s Gala can contact Dana Pethia, director for fundraising events and corporate sponsors, at [email protected] Martin’s University is an independent, four-year, coeducational university located on a wooded campus of more than 300 acres in Lacey, Washington. Established in 1895 by the Catholic Order of Saint Benedict, the University is one of 13 Benedictine colleges and universities in the United States and Canada, and the only one west of the Rocky Mountains. Saint Martin’s University prepares students for successful lives through its 26 majors and ten graduate programs spanning the liberal arts, business, education, nursing and engineering. Saint Martin’s welcomes more than 1,300 undergraduate students and 250 graduate students from many ethnic and religious backgrounds to its Lacey campus, and more students to its extended campus located at Joint Base Lewis-McChord. Visit the Saint Martin’s University website at www.stmartin.edu.last_img read more

STABLE NOTES BY ED GOLDEN – THURSDAY DECEMBER 31, 2015

first_imgVANITY LONG-RANGE GOAL FOR CHAMPION BEHOLDER            Richard Mandella has the Grade I Vanity Stakes at one mile on June 4 as a long-range goal for two-time Eclipse Award champion Beholder.“She’s still at Peacefield Farm in Temecula, but we expect her back at Santa Anita somewhere towards the first or second week of January,” Mandella said of the daughter of Henny Hughes, who missed the Breeders’ Cup Distaff on Oct. 30 due to a fever.Owned by the Spendthrift Farm of B. Wayne Hughes, Beholder has won 11 of 12 starts at Santa Anita. DISTANCE SUITS BAL A BALI IN SAN GABRIELBal a Bali tries nine furlongs on turf for the first time in the United States in Saturday’s Grade II San Gabriel Stakes, but Richard Mandella says it should suit the Brazilian-bred horse owned by Fox Hills Farms, Inc. or Sienna Farms, LLC.“He’s won at a mile and a half (in Brazil on March 16, 2014), so I don’t think that’s a problem,” the Hall of Fame trainer said. “He was finishing his best at the end of his last race (second in the Grade II Seabiscuit at 1 1/16 miles on Del Mar’s grass course Nov. 27).“In that race, we were wishing it was a mile and an eighth, so I don’t see a problem with the San Gabriel distance. We just hope he runs his best race again, which I think he will.”Bal a Bali, who turns seven tomorrow, has two wins from five starts in the U.S., including the Grade III American at one mile on grass at Santa Anita on May 9, 2015, in his U.S. debut.The field: Flamboyant, Brice Blanc, 20-1; Big John B, Rafael Bejarano, 7-2; Poshky, Victor Espinoza, 12-1; Texas Ryno, James Graham, 10-1; Power Red, Mario Gutierrez, 12-1; Class Leader, Kent Desormeaux, 20-1; Bal a Bali, Flavien Prat, 7-2; Obviously, Joe Talamo, 3-1; Wanstead Gardens, Gary Stevens, 20-1; Chiropractor, Corey Nakatani, 4-1; Macro Access, Martin Garcia, 20-1; and also-eligibles Kenjisstorm, Edwin Maldonado, 50-1; Southern Freedom, Mike Smith, 15-1; and Quick Casablanca, Tyler Baze, 20-1. ESPINOZA WORKS CALIFORNIA CHROME SATURDAY            Tom Mix had his Tony, Gene Autry had his Champion and Roy Rogers had his Trigger, but none was as comfortable in the saddle as Victor Espinoza was on American Pharoah.A jockey doesn’t attain unprecedented accomplishments without a willing and wonderful partner, human or otherwise. Espinoza’s victories on American Pharoah in 2015 not only produced the first Triple Crown winner in 37 years, but a Breeders’ Cup Classic king as well.No horse in the sport’s long and storied history had ever hit racing’s “Grand Slam” before. Horse of the Year honors for American Pharoah are a mere formality.But with the colt’s retirement to stud, it’s back to reality in 2016 for Espinoza, a self-proclaimed “happy Mexican” now looking forward to reuniting with California Chrome, who won two-thirds of the Triple Crown last year and was named Horse of the Year 2014.Reality never looked better.Espinoza, currently eligible for racing’s Hall of Fame and a finalist for Santa Anita’s George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award, will work California Chrome six furlongs before Saturday’s first race at Santa Anita as the California-bred son of Lucky Pulpit trained by Art Sherman prepares for the Grade II San Pasqual Stakes on Jan. 9, his first race since running second in the Dubai World Cup last March 28.Espinoza can hardly wait.“He kind of grew up a little since last March,” Espinoza said of California Chrome, scheduled to arrive at Santa Anita Friday from his Los Alamitos base. “His neck is thicker and he’s much sounder.“The time off has helped him recover from minor issues he had with his body. He worked good last Sunday (seven furlongs in 1:25.40 at Los Alamitos). I guess without blinkers he’s not an excellent work horse, but even with small blinkers, you have to be careful because he will go a little fast.“He didn’t work in blinkers last Sunday but he’ll have them on Saturday, and he races with them on.”Espinoza, meanwhile, has enjoyed if not thrived on his wild ride the past two years, thrusting the sport into the mainstream with appearances on shows like Dancing with the Stars, Good Morning America, Jimmy Fallon and Letterman. No reasonable appearance or interview request, it seems, was refused, including first-pitch opportunities at venues such as Angel Stadium, Dodger Stadium and Yankee Stadium (where, in an unprecedented gesture, he was assigned the hallowed #3, in honor of his Triple Crown sweep).“It’s been more than a dream, especially this year,” Espinoza said. “Last year I was very close to winning the Triple Crown. What were the odds that I would be in an even better position this year?“It was great in 2014, but 2015 was unforgettable. It was special. I would never even dream that I’d have a year like this.” FOREVER DARLING FRESH FOR BALTAS IN SANTA YNEZ            Whatever chance maiden winner Forever Darling had at 55-1 in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies last out on Oct. 30 went by the boards when she bobbled at the start, eventually winding up eighth by 17 ¼ lengths behind undefeated Eclipse champion-in-waiting Songbird.Trainer Richard Baltas has the daughter of Congrats in a considerably more realistic spot in Saturday’s Grade II Santa Ynez Stakes for three-year-old fillies at 6 ½ furlongs.“We freshened her up after the Breeders’ Cup,” said Baltas, who has enjoyed a solid 2015 with 73 victories and is off to a rousing Winter Meet start at Santa Anita with three victories from his first four runners.“We finished up strong and we’re looking forward to a big future,” Baltas said.The Santa Ynez field: My Dynamo, Fernando Perez, 8-1; Rockantharos, Edwin Maldonado, 20-1; Decked Out, Kent Desormeaux, 6-1; Treasuring, Victor Espinoza, 5-1; One Last Shot, Mike Smith, 8-1; Code Warrior, Anne Sanguinetti, 7-2; Pretty N Cool, Martin Garcia, 5-2; and Forever Darling, Rafael Bejarano, 7-2. FINISH LINES: Unusual Heat turns 26 tomorrow, but he’s still going strong at Harris Farms in Coalinga. The venerable and valuable stallion has a full book, which closed with 40 mares at $20,000 a service, according to trainer Barry Abrams, a member of the breeding syndicate. “Lakerville, Unusual Heat’s fastest son, stands right next to him,” Abrams said. “He was bred to 40 mares last year and we hope to have 60 or 70 for him in 2016. His service right now is complimentary as he establishes himself in the market.” . . . Tomorrow, New Year’s Day, Santa Anita offers another of its popular Dollar Days, with draft beer, hot dogs and sodas available for a buck apiece. NO SECRET FOR GLATT’S PLANS IN MIDNIGHT LUTERaised a Secret, a consistent California-bred son of Songandaprayer, tackles tougher company in Saturday’s Grade III Midnight Lute Stakes, but, best case scenario, trainer Mark Glatt hopes the six-year-old horse owned by Rodney Orr performs well and goes on to the $150,000 Donald Valpredo California Cup Sprint for California-breds at six furlongs on Jan. 30.“He’s coming into this race real well,” Glatt said, “and he needs to have a race before the Cal-bred stakes. There’s a lack of opportunity for him right now and the Midnight Lute has a small field, so we’re going.“Obviously, he’ll be facing better company in this race than what he as been facing, but he’s pretty consistent and at the very least, he can pick up a nice paycheck and we’ll keep him sharp and tight for the Cal-bred stake and that’s kind of our goal.“But who knows? Maybe he’ll jump up and win Saturday.”The Midnight Lute: Seattle Serenade, Mike Smith, 6-1; San Onofre, Alex Solis, 7-2; Distinctiv Passion, Edwin Maldonado, 3-1; Pulling G’s, Victor Espinoza, 5-1; Raised a Secret, Fernando Perez, 12-1; All Run, Mario Gutierrez, 5-2; and Salutos Amigos, Martin Garcia, 3-1.Salutos Amigos blew out three furlongs for trainer David Jacobson Thursday in 37.80, while San Onofre went the same distance in the same time for Karen Headley. WILL CALIFORNIA CHROME SHINE BRIGHTER IN 2016?RAISE A SECRET ON THE ‘MARK’ FOR MIDNIGHT LUTEFRESH START FOR FOREVER DARLING IN SANTA YNEZSAN GABRIEL DISTANCE NO PROBLEM FOR BAL A BALIVANITY IN JUNE LONG-RANGE GOAL FOR BEHOLDERlast_img read more