New revelations cast doubt on the theory that Khlebnikov’s murder was ordered by Chechen warlord Nukhayev

first_img RSF_en to go further RSF at the Belarusian border: “The terrorist is the one who jails journalists and intimidates the public” Receive email alerts May 28, 2021 Find out more Solving the murder of US journalist Paul Khlebnikov, the editor of the Russian edition of the US magazine Forbes, is “crucial” for the entire Russian media profession, Reporters Without Borders said today, a year after he was gunned down in Moscow on 9 July 2004.”Violence against journalists in Russian is increasing constantly and inevitably results in a degree of self-censorship,” the press freedom organisation said. “Twelve journalists have been killed in Russia since 2000 but no one has been brought to trial for any of these murders. If you can shoot a US journalist on a Moscow street with complete impunity, imagine the risks for Russian journalists in the provinces trying to cover sensitive issues such as corruption.”Reporters Without Borders added: “We call on the Russian authorities to ensure that all leads have been exhaustively explored before closing this case. It would be very serious if those so far charged turn out to nothing more than convenient scapegoats.”The investigation by the office of the Russian state prosecutor has gained pace since two Russians of Chechen origin were charged on 13 May. Musa Vakhayev, 40, from the Chechen city of Urus-Martan was arrested by Moscow prosecutors on 18 November 2004. He is suspected of being the driver of the car used by the gunman who shot Khlebnikov four times as he left his Moscow office. Investigators said his fingerprints were in the car, which was found on a Moscow street the day after the killing. The second suspect is Kazbek Dukuzov, the alleged the trigger-man. He was extradited from Belarus in March.A Moscow notary, Faik Sadreddinov, was arrested and placed under investigation on 4 June on suspicion of being involved. Russia’s prosecutor-general said on 16 June that other suspected participants in the killing had been identified, naming Magomed Dukuzov, the brother of Kazbek Dukuzov, Magomed Edilsultanov and “others” now on a wanted list.The prosecutor’s office also announced the same day that it had concluded that the murder was ordered by Chechen separatist leader Hodj-Akhmed Nukhayev and that the case was now closed. No date was set for a trial, however.Aged 41, Khlebnikov was an award-winning investigative journalist who had worked for Forbes for nearly 15 years. Shortly before his death, he had been investigating the embezzlement of hundreds millions of dollars earmarked for Chechen reconstruction.In 2003, he published “Conversations with a Barbarian,” extracts of which were published in Forbes. Nukhayev, who was briefly deputy prime minister in the Chechen separatist government in May 1996, was quoted in the book as saying that he was involved in gangsterism after the first Russo-Chechen war (1994-1996) before devoting himself to the political struggle within the “Chechen Land of Islam” movement.Khlebnikov met Nukhayev in 2001. Nukhayev announced in October 2003 that he would “take up arms again” and return to Chechnya, after spending several years in the Azerbaijan capital of Baku. “If someone kills or simply insults a member of your clan (…) he will be hunted down for the rest of his life. He will not escape punishment,” Khlebnikov quoted Nukhayev as saying in an article carried by Forbes.Michael and Peter Khlebnikov, the journalist’s brothers, have voiced doubts about the claim that it was Nukhayev who instigated the murder. “This amazed us,” Michael Khlebnikov said. “We never heard anything from Paul that would have led us to think that after the book came out Mr. Nukhayev was unhappy about anything,” he said. The Khlebnikov family has urged the Russian judicial authorities to let investigators from other countries join the inquiry, stressing that the suspected instigator is probably abroad.”I am delighted to learn that they have finally arrested the killers and the instigator of the murder of my nephew – assuming the information is correct – shot dead because he was doing his job,” Hélène Carrère d’Encausse, member of the French Academy, told Reporters Without Borders. The daily Izvestia reported on 14 November 2005 that Faik Sadreddinov, a Moscow notary accused of involvement in the murder of Paul Khlebnikov and arrested on 4 June, had sent a letter to Michael Khlebnikov, one of the US journalist’s brothers, after seeing the charge sheet in prison. Quoting a report by the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), carried out at the request of the Russian investigators and which forms part of the charge sheet, the notary said that Khlebnikov was working on a “terrifying” investigation and that he was preparing to publish the names of leading Russian political figures, after uncovering their links with Chechen separatists. Khlebnikov’s spiritual adviser, the orthodox priest Leonid Kalinin, quoted by Izvestia, confirmed that the American journalist had confided in him that he was working on “serious journalistic investigations, alongside which the interview with the warlord Kozh-Akhmed Nukhayev was infant prattling”. On 16 June, Russia’s prosecutor’s office announced that the investigation into the murder of Paul Khlebnikov had been closed and that it had been instigated by Chechen separatist leader Kozh-Akhmed Nukhayev, without specifying the date of the opening of the trial. Paul Khlebnikov, the editor of the Russian edition of the US magazine Forbes, was shot four times and killedone year ago as he left his Moscow office. “If you can gun down a US journalist on a Moscow street withcomplete impunity, imagine the risks for Russian journalists trying to cover sensitive issues in theprovinces,” Reporters Without Borders tells the Russian authorities.Read in russian May 27, 2021 Find out more – – – – -A year after Khlebnikov murder, entire Russian press needs case to be solved8 July 2005 “We welcome opening of criminal investigation in Lithuania in response to our complaint against Lukashenko” RSF says News June 2, 2021 Find out morecenter_img Read in russian News BelarusEurope – Central Asia Organisation November 14, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 New revelations cast doubt on the theory that Khlebnikov’s murder was ordered by Chechen warlord Nukhayev News Follow the news on Belarus Help by sharing this information BelarusEurope – Central Asia Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown Newslast_img read more

#BREAKING Molly Martens to be charged over death of Jason Corbett

first_imgWalk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended WhatsApp Email Print Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL NewsBreaking news#BREAKING Molly Martens to be charged over death of Jason CorbettBy Staff Reporter – January 4, 2016 1155 TAGSfeatured Previous article#BREAKING Apartment damaged in Limerick city blazeNext articleGardai appeal for information on missing Limerick man Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie First Irish death from Coronavirus center_img Linkedin No vaccines in Limerick yet Advertisement Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up MOLLY Martens and her father, a retired FBI agent Thomas Martens, are to face charges over the death of Limerick man Jason Corbett following a decision by a US Grand Jury.In a report by North Carolina media outlet The Dispatch this Monday night, the Davidson County Grand Jury has indicted Jason Corbett’s second wife Molly Martens and his father-in-law Thomas after he was killed at his Wallburg home last August.Tonight’s report by Darrick Ignasiak reads;“Davidson County Assistant District Attorney Greg Brown confirmed on Monday that the grand jury has indicted Molly Martens Corbett, 31, and her father, Thomas Michael Martens, 65, a resident of Tennessee, with second-degree murder and voluntary manslaughter. They are accused of killing 39-year-old Jason Paul Corbett. Results of an autopsy and cause of death, together with the indictments were sealed by the court on foot of an application by prosecutors.“It was an extremely thorough investigation,” Davidson County Sheriff David Grice said.“We are pleased with the decision of the grand jury.”Sheriff deputies responded to the Corbetts’ residence just after 3am on August 2 last.Deputy C.S. Dagenhardt wrote in a report that while Deputy D. Dillard was on route to an assault at 160 Panther Creek Court, the Davidson County 911 Center advised the caller had been in an argument with his son-in-law and struck him with a baseball bat.DCSO patrol deputies arrived at the address and found a man inside the home with head injuries.The 39-year-old Limerick man and father of two died as a result.Jason Corbett left behind two children from his first marriage to Mags, Jack and Sarah. She died tragically in 2006 from an asthma attack.His death resulted in a custody battle between Molly Martens, and Jason Corbett’s sister Tracey Lynch and her husband David.Following a bitter row, Davidson County Superior Court judge upheld the December 8 decision of a District Court judge who reviewed the order of guardianship of the two children to the Lynch family.Superior Court Judge Ted Royster said District Court Judge April Wood was correct in ruling Brian Shipwash, Clerk of Superior Court, was within his jurisdiction to grant guardianship to Tracey and her husband as per Jason’s wishes in his last will and testament.The children returned home and are said to be doing very well in Limerick since.Since that decision, Molly Martens has pursued a campaign through her personal social media page of posting messages in the hope that the two children will see them.Responding to this Monday’s decision by the Davidson County Grand Jury, the Lynch family said that “our confidence and trust in the Davidson County Sheriff’s Department and the District Attorney has been reaffirmed by today’s decision.”In a post to the “Bring Justice for Jason Facebook page, Jason Corbet was described as a “kind man who lived his life with integrity and generosity of spirit.“Hatred is not an emotion in our hearts, it only gives power to those who are not worthy of sharing the same oxygen”.It is understood that a date for the pair to be brought before Davidson County Superior Court is likely to be set in the coming days. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Facebook Twitterlast_img read more